Sep 30, 2021
Have you felt more tired recently? Maybe more pain, brain fog,
memory loss, trouble sleeping, or maybe all of the above? These are
all symptoms of stress, whether that’s the everyday variety or
unresolved stress hidden deep within your body. Dealing with your
stress can unlock a new way to live your life. Dr. Nicole Huffman
is on the podcast to talk about the emotional arm of your health
and how you can release the stress from your body that’s preventing
you from living your life to its fullest.
- [0:50] Dr. Nicole has lived in many different places, but after
falling in love with horseback riding a couple of years ago, they
were looking for a new home and found a place that came with a
horse and two donkeys. It became the obvious choice.
- [3:00] Horses teach you about the energy that you bring into a
room. If there is something going on with you, the horse is going
to feel it. This plays into the idea that our physical health has
an energetic component. Other people may put up with your energy
but a horse will let you know right away.
- [5:50] Dr. Nicole’s practice is in-person one day a week at Dr.
Jill Carnahan’s clinic and the rest of the week is spent in remote
- [7:30] Dr. Nicole uses muscle testing to communicate with a
patient's nervous system. Whether an arm is strong or weak can tell
you a lot about what is going on with the rest of the body.
- [7:55] Dr. Nicole looks at the body three ways. Is there
something structurally wrong, chemically absent, or are there
emotional issues? Unresolved stress has physical impacts on the
body and dealing with that stress often results in the physical
- [10:00] Dr. Anna went through a period of post-traumatic stress
which resulted in early menopause and infertility. This put her on
a journey to learn about stress and understand its impacts on the
human body and how it can be reversed.
- [11:35] There are multiple forms of stress. It can come from
your emotions, your food, or the electrochemical environment you
are in. When you feel emotional stress that you can’t control,
addressing your diet and removing those sources of stress can make
your emotions easier to manage.
- [12:45] Dr. Anna recommends to her patients to write down their
stressors and controls on a piece of paper. Pair each thing that
stresses you with something you can control to minimize
- [14:25] Unresolved stress is often deeply rooted in the body
and the most common way of dealing with it is ignoring it (aka. Not
dealing with it). If you are responding to a situation like a six
year old, it’s probably due to an unresolved stress from when you
- [16:20] There are different techniques and treatments that can
help deal with this kind of stress, you just have to test and
experiment to find the one that’s right for you.
- [17:25] Adverse childhood experiences deeply affect us
throughout life, but especially during periods like menopause where
there is a drop in progesterone. Anytime cortisol levels are higher
it’s going to ignite stresses that haven’t been resolved.
- [19:05] Dr. Nicole sees many women with low hormones living
under the thumb of cortisol. The pandemic has only exacerbated the
- [20:05] People with excessive stress experience low energy,
irregular period cycles, and interrupted sleep. When you’re
overwhelmed with stress, little things can really set you off.
- [22:30] Weddings are extra complicated and stressful right now.
Dr. Nicole uses muscle testing tests to identify and clear emotions
around the things they can and can’t control. Often, when past
traumatic events do come up you will feel tired and exhausted for
the following few days.
- [25:05] There are a few techniques that you can do at home to
run a muscle test but you're best off being in an objective and
clear space to get accurate results. Muscle testing is like a
physical manifestation of your intuition.
- [28:45] Don’t let unresolved issues affect your physiology. You
have to shed your old self and unresolved stresses.
- [30:45] When someone comes into Dr. Nicole’s practice, it
starts with talking about their history and going deep on their
life and what stresses them oute. Then she starts muscle testing to
see what the body wants to deal with first.
- [31:45] When you work with the highest priority issue,
everything else will fall into line. You may not need 10
supplements if you deal with unresolved stress or the primary cause
of your problems.
- [32:10] Health is not the absence of symptoms, it’s feeling
Mentioned in this Episode:
@drnicoleNMD on Instagram
Always seek the advice of your own physician or qualified
health professional before starting any treatment or plans.
Information found here and results are provided for informational
purposes only and are not intended to replace a one-on-one
relationship with a qualified healthcare professional and are not
intended as medical advice.